Are you fed up of the stray dog menace in your area? They have become the dons who are now a big threat to your young children. They bark, growl and sometimes even try to bite you. They scare you so much that you have had mini heart attacks as well. You want all of that to get over. You want to get rid of this important and much talked about issue. Do you?
Today, in Times of India Chandigarh issue, a number of locals have expressed their views about the stray dogs menace and about the latest sterilization program initiated by the MC in the city. Though I didn’t expect this from TOI team but they did publish views of some stupid people that prefer to give their ‘scientific judgements’ without checking their facts.
If you’re reading this blog, I definitely don’t expect you to be like those people who say ‘dogs get aggressive because of sterilization and they must all be killed in one go’. Let’s not talk about such inhumane people. Let’s talk about a few things YOU can do to deal with the stray dogs issue in your locality.
- Understand that streets are their homes: Their family have lived in the place since your family did. Those streets are their home and when you try to shoo them away, you’re actually trying to conquer their territory. At least, that’s the impression they get from you. What would you do if someone tries to throw you out of your house? Fight. Right? This is what they would do. So, in case, you want them to behave as calm and lovable dogs, mend your own ways.
- Stop scaring them: Most of the times dogs growl at you because they’re scared of you. Maybe you did nothing wrong to them but your scent may remind them of someone else. Dogs live in present, literally. They don’t remember the face of a person who hit them or scare them. The only thing they can remember is either the scent or the fact that they’re scared of any figure that looks like a human. In such a case, show some love to them and they will change.
- Stop being a nuisance for them: Whenever a stray dog attacks a kid or a person, the only culprit is the DOG. Why? Just because they can’t justify what they did because of their lack of communication skills, you consider them the problem. Shame on you! They attack when they’re threatened. Ask your kids not to throw stones at them, stop kicking them every time you see them and stop anyone who indulges in such inhumane and stupid activities. If you can’t do that, stop complaining about dog bites.
- Be a good parent, stop spreading fear: Why are you scared of dogs? Most of the times it is because that’s how you were raised. Most of the times when children try to go near a stray dog, their mothers start shouting like they’re going to touch acid or something. I agree that a child might not know whether it is safe to touch a stray or not but there’s a calmer way to get this thing in your child’s head. You don’t need to make him afraid of dog. If you do, get ready to see your child deal with a constant fear of dogs.
- Don’t be a racist: I expect many of you who would read this article would be the ‘dog haters’. But if some dog lover is reading this, please don’t be a racist. You shower so much love on your pedigree breed. You love him so much and call yourself a big dog lover but where does all of this go when it comes to stray dogs? Aren’t they dogs? Don’t you find them cute? They deserve equal love and affection as your costly pedigree does. If you can’t love them, just don’t hate them.
- Feed them: How much food do you throw in dustbin each day? Come on! We all have to deal with leftovers and most of us just throw them in dustbin. If you just use those leftovers to feed those hungry helpless creatures, you would not only do a kind deed but also be protected by them for forever. This is the love of dogs. They always pay their debts.
- Help them when they’re injured: Most of the stray dogs have to suffer from one injury or another because of the careless ‘humans’. Just because you don’t get convicted for killing a dog doesn’t mean it is okay to kill a dog. In case, you find an injured dog, try to help it. At least, give a call to a dog lover organization like PFA or something. It doesn’t cost much to be a good person. Seriously!
- Adopt: Do you know that stray dogs are low maintenance dogs with high immunity. They won’t get sick easily, they won’t need an A.C. in summers, they won’t need top quality dog feed. But yes, they would give you equal love, attention and protection as a pedigree would. Why not adopt a stray then?
I thought of writing a sort of hate post for the people who pass comments like dogs should be killed, sterilization makes them aggressive (seriously! Read some science books. Uneducated ignorant people!) and so on but then I thought what difference would it make? Would they stop passing such stupid comments or would they stop their cruelty? Would they pick up a vet science book and learn something about dog behaviour? No.
But there are a set of people who can stir a change in society. You are one of those people. You have read this and now you know how you can deal with the stray dog problem without killing them or without posing a threat to your own life or to the life of any member of your society. Go on! Try to put some Gyan in the heads of stupid people like the ones I talked of. Go on! Be a human, not an animal.
Manpreet has written beautifully about the street dogs.. But very few people will understand because humans have got the full right to kill , slaughter or whatever they want..but theses voiceless creatures can\’t fight for anything..if these poor souls defend themselves humans call them nuisance..so the things end there wen no one comes forward for them..STOP CRUELTY TO ANIMALS..BE KIND TO THEM..
You are right Reshamjit. Whenever these creatures try to defend themselves, humans tag them as nuisance and dangerous and find another way to try to kill them.
Stray dogs never bite a person unless they are threatened. They need love and nothing else.. Thanks for such a beautiful post
you’re right and I wish everyone could just understand this simple fact. But most of the people don’t even bother to pay attention to this. 🙁
I feel these things fall under basic human duties towards society and more so towards humanity. Unfortunately, we have become so immune to such small benevolent acts because of our selfish attitude. Hence despite being the superior race on this planet our actions are of very low quality in nature, which has resulted in zero tolerance towards other living beings on this earth without realizing the importance of other species on this earth. For us this land only belongs to the superior race and all other living things should extinct. I feel so sad for them (human beings) and I feel such articles can be of great help to help them realize, though the hope is very low, but still we must keep striking as that will put a dent one day and that will be our biggest success. Lets all come together and strike one by one.
Thank you for this article. Animals want to live in peace and not suffer or starve, just like us humans.
Agree. It’s sad that humans don’t allow them to live in peace and then put the blame on animals only.
I don’t agree. The so called animal lovers favour and feed them, if someone hurts them, they will come to fight for them but when they chase vehicles, bite persons, these so called animal lovers never appear.
Facts don’t change, no matter you agree or not.
Dogs don’t attack people out of blue. Those dogs that chase vehicles… they do that because they don’t trust vehicles because of some stupid person who runs over them or a member of their pack.
Dogs don’t bite out of blue. You piss them off and they attack you. Wouldn’t you slap a kid who keeps irritating you every single day and keeps pulling your hair or ears? Would you even let a random kid or person do that to you? If not, why do you expect dogs to act humanely when humans cannot?
Is the dog a pet or a pest.
A dog could a pet if it is co-inhabitated with a human and it does not create nuisance to neighbours. In that definition no dog is a pet.
Street dogs are pests because they usurp the space meant for humans to move. They impede travel. Many a cautious motor cyclists have met with accident due to sudden dog crossings. This accident creates a vicious cycle. Dogs start to bark and chase all vehicles and create more accidents. Leave alone the dog bites; the statistics on the number of accidents due to collision with dogs is enormous. Let us make the streets the exclusive property of dogs. Ban all people using the streets! Let us all sit at home. That should be the way to handle dog menace…
I wish you had read the post. Your absurdity would have been put to end. And what? Did your grandfather gift you planet Earth and all those roads and spaces which you think are for humans to move? IF not, shut up and go get your brain fixed. It disgusts me that people like you exist. You don’t deserve to be called a human with all that filth inside your brain against animals.
Those statistics you’re talking about… are because of humans as much as because of dogs. I truly think people like you should be banned from earth because instead of dealing with issues and finding a real solution, people like you believe in accusing others just because that’s the only thing your pea sized brain can do. Happy sitting at home!
Don’t know if you’re naive or stupid. If a stray dog is going to attack me, I will try to kill it if I can (been there). Sadly, stray dogs are a consequence of human irresponsibility and a menace to the biosphere. Is not funny to kill them, but it must be done in order to protect other species (like my own animals). Your “dog is scared of you so he barks” BS is false. I’m a dog person, but I don’t fool myself with rainbows. Dogs hunt. Not everyone is a stupid coffee-drinking city kid.
You’re sick. Visit a doctor. I can pretty much see how much dogs would hate a person like you, and what kinds of animals you would be raising… just by seeing this comment. Hope somebody helps you get medical diagnosis for your condition and get you treated.
Instead of getting rid of sick nuisense animals almost closing the road for movement,you have love to adopt dogs .Why not cone here and adopt half a dozen pregnant bitches.Easier said than done.Learn to live human beings while rapes of our children are encouraged by persons like you and the government.Why not adopt children who are bought and sold as sex slaves.Come and live with the place where these sick dogs DONOT allow children and others move freely nor sleep at night.Learn to love aged men who are not allowed to cross the roads and sleep peacefully.Why not send the dogs tonManeka who has so much love for animals but not her sisters and mothers who are ravished by m0nster men.This must happen in ministers house to open their eyes.God Only will save us not persons who wants others to adopt dogs and cats when petrol is unn9ng above 90 rupees.God save India.