Weight Loss, apart from Game of Thrones season 5 and IPL, is the thing that is haunting each one of us. Come on! Everyone puts on weight during winter but the real problem arises when you get so fat that you’re unable to fit inside your favourite clothes. It has been happening with me. I am literally trying 2-3 summer clothes each day and much often I need my roommate to get me out of those clothes get stuck on me. Laugh!
But the truth is, a lot of us are facing the same problem. And because of this, I started updating my knowledge on health weight loss and started exercising. Thanks to my good luck, I picked up a book written by an expert in the fitness and nutrition field and that has helped me debunk a lot of myths related to weight loss as well as to make a proper plan that would help me to lose weight, in real.
Today, I am going to share some of the most important points highlighted in the book. Don’t be surprised. These are the points which almost every experience fitness professional would tell you. The only thing you need to do is read them again and make a mental note to practice them in your real life. (Information about the book at the bottom).
- Not drinking enough water: Your body needs to stay hydrated if you expect it to keep working on destroying those flabs you have got by eating pinnis and gaajar ka halwa in winter. It is important for you to drink water, a lot of water even when you don’t feel that thirsty. I think I don’t need to emphasize how the importance of drinking adequate water doubles manifolds when you’re working out. Do I?
- Skipping breakfast or meals: Sorry boys. Let me talks to girls in this point. The moment the idea of losing weight comes to a mind of a girl, the first thing she does is skip breakfasts. That’s the dumbest thing one can do when planning to shed kilos. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and the bigger it is, the better it is. How do you think you’re going to get energy to work out during the rest of the day? Moreover, you have a good chance to use up extra nutrients you take up during breakfast.
- Eating less than 5-6 times a day: Now, this is as common in boys as it is in girls. Such a practice got popular through the inexperienced part time trainers at gym. Your friend’s friend told you that you must eat less to lose weight and you agreed. Bad. Eating small portions of meals 5-6 times a day is a must to lose weight in a healthy way. If you go on a crash diet or don’t have proper diet while you work out, you would definitely gain the kilos you think you ‘lost’ just when you stop working out.
- Not helping your body recover: Boys will be boys. You want big muscles to impress the girl you have crush on or just for feeling good about yourself. And that’s why you would work your ass off in the gym. In fact, you would work even more than what your trainer asked you to. That’s where you go wrong. Your need a smart work out, not hard work out. It is important that give your body adequate time to replenish its strength, the muscle that get damaged during exercise must regain their strength before you put them to work once again. Please! Hire a good trainer and listen to him. Or you might end up with a severe muscular injury or no end results.
- Improper exercise schedule: I think you would have got an idea about how this can affect you. An improper exercise schedule won’t let your muscles recover from previous work out or would minimize the effect of exercise, thereby reducing your chances of losing weight or building muscle. A good trainer is necessary in such a case.
Though I have been told all of these by my trainer a lot many times, I still didn’t believe him. But once I read this book: Don’t lose out, Work out by Rujuta Diwekar, I have got more serious about how I deal with my body when it comes to weight loss. It is important to ensure good health in future.
I hope you get some good learning from this article and be careful while you work out or plan to shed the extra kilos you gained during the last season. Don’t let lack of knowledge ruin your weight loss goals. Get fit. Get healthy.
Well. These points are all valid if one wants to lose weight. Although, I emphasize on losing the fat and not the weight overall 🙂
You are very right. One must emphasize on losing fat rather than weight. But I think the usual term is always ‘weight’ loss. Hhahhaa But if you go to a good trainer or have read about weight loss, you would automatically be inclined towards fat loss.
Manpreet I couldn’t agree more about letting your body recover. I have actually scaled back my gym time and I’m seeing faster results simply because my body has a proper chance to recover between sessions.
Good that you’re allowing yourself to recover. Many people are just too ignorant or stubborn to accept this simple scientific thing. Glad that you commented with your experience. Thanks for sharing. 🙂
Awesome article Manpreet, and as someone who has recently joined the gym, I’d like to add a few points..
Like drinking water, eating lots of cucumber is also good. Also oats in food is also a good supplement.
Also eating something light before workout or exercise is a must for being energized during the workout!
Hehe, though most of all, habit plays a really important role in it, and cutting back on coffee, pizza, burger, donuts… And stuff! XD
Hey Rahul, Good to see you here.
Thanks for adding the tips. Drinking water helps a lot in lose weight. And habits… of course they’re most important. Junk food has to be avoided. As far as coffee is concerned, it has been two days since I am drinking coffee without sugar (literally no sugar). hahah Hoping to continue that and I hope that would help at least a bit .:D